[Nhcoll-l] Raw file format

Gil Nelson gnelson at bio.fsu.edu
Tue May 8 16:04:42 EDT 2018

DNG is a good (best) option and is what iDigBio recommends to ensure an
openly documented format rather than a proprietary format that might
change without notice or documentation (e.g. Nikon NEF).

Gil

On 5/8/2018 3:57 PM, Callomon,Paul wrote:

> Folks,
>
> A question for those of you running imaging projects: in what format
> do you store the original, high-resolution files? We have been using
> Nikon raw (.nef) but as Adobe no longer makes plug-ins for the latest
> versions we are contemplating converting to DNG before storing the
> images.
>
> Regards,
>
> *Paul Callomon*
> /Collection Manager, Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General
> Invertebrates/

> *Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, Philadelphia*
>
> 1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
> /callomon at ansp.org <mailto:callomon at ansp.org> Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax
> 215-299-1170/

> society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=DwIC-g&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=oN8GXkgueR3y8Oc0PXXDURePtzz9n5HknYuAlwZzuDs&s=F8pmIMdvhGG0UPICPKLm-nNV8dkOr987t7eCehzs8gA&e= for membership information.

Gil Nelson, PhD
Research Faculty
iDigBio Steering Committee
Integrated Digitized Biocollections
Institute for Digital Information and Scientific Communication
College of Communication and Information

Courtesy Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
Robert K. Godfrey Herbarium
Florida State University