[Nhcoll-l] [pestlist] Dermestid help

Alex Roach alexroach at modifiedatmospheres.com.au
Tue Nov 20 16:56:36 EST 2018

Hi Tonya
The reason for the large numbers of adults is that they emerge at this time
of year here (i.e. September-November). The collections that you mentioned
are highly attractive to carpet beetles, so while some beetles may be
entering from other areas, it is more likely that you have several infested
specimens.
Freezing the infested material is a good approach. You could use your
freezer, hire a trailer freezer if the collection is bigger than your
current freezer, or use low oxygen (either individually bagging specimens
or large flexible chambers). Due to the high susceptibility of the mammal
and bird specimens it may be better to store them in barrier film bags, as
this makes them ‘invisible’ to the bugs.
You have some of these facilities in Canberra (e.g. freezers at the AWM and
the NGA), or I can send you contact details for Australian suppliers.
Best wishes
Alex Roach
Modified Atmospheres
0414 663 472