[Nhcoll-l] Cleaning a roadkill freezer

Matthew Becker m.becker at musnathist.com
Wed Nov 21 09:58:10 EST 2018

Hi everyone,

We have a freezer where we store dead on recovery animals before sending
them to our taxidermist to be mounted for exhibition and storage. We are
in the process of the cleaning out this freezer as some of the dead
animals at the bottom of the freezer are dated back to the 1990s!
Getting rid of the old specimens isn't so much of a problem...the real
problem is that at some point in the past the museum lost power and the
roadkill freezer thawed leaving a horrible dead smell inside (beyond the
regular dead smell from the animals).

My question: Does anyone have recommendations for cleaning a roadkill
freezer? My inclination is just to go at it with bleach, but if anyone
has any better/less toxic suggestions I would very much appreciate it!

Thank you.

Matthew Becker
Curator of Collections
Museum of Natural History + Planetarium