[Nhcoll-l] Cleaning a roadkill freezer

Simon Moore couteaufin at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 21 10:39:05 EST 2018

Hi Matthew,

I have had some first-hand experience of this as I was the only one with a strong enough stomach!

I cleaned the freezer interior with a hose first, followed by strong disinfectant but not bleach.  Once the freezer was dry and could be safely switched on, then the putrefaction odour was minimal.
The bodies were buried in a shallow mass grave and then had building materials dumped on them to prevent marauding.  Once the building work had been done, then there were a few passable skeletons amongst the remains, some had semi-mummified!

With all good wishes, Simon.

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,

www.natural-history-conservation.com