[Nhcoll-l] Precipitate or Mold in Ethanol Stored Specimens

Judith Price museumknitter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 14:15:49 EST 2018

We sometimes found similar white precipitate in Crustacea samples at the Canadian Museum of Nature. The nice guys in our Mineralogy group ran it through their spectrometer and determined it was cholesterol. Presumably these fats were dissolved from the animals and then precipitated, perhaps due to a change in preservative chemical(s).

Judith Price
(retired but still reading!)