[Nhcoll-l] Anyone heard of "Wife's Pride"

Anderson, Gretchen AndersonG at CarnegieMNH.Org
Wed Oct 3 18:15:35 EDT 2018

Hi all,

Please excuse the cross posting.

Has anyone heard of "Wife's Pride".  My best guess is that this product was marketed as some kind of a wood preservative or coating in the 1950's (give or take). Our records show that the product was used on an archaeological wooden object at our museum. We are currently doing analysis and would like to track this product down, in part to see how it might compromise the original surface.

I also found the research that a previous conservator did on the product.  Her notes (hard to read) indicate she checked "Chemical Formulary handbook of material trade names" (1953) and  the "Handbook  of Chemical synonyms and trade names".  There is a note stating "US Gortdocs Microprint (?) 1957 - no. 9826  MIL-S-13518B April 8 1957. Military Specification, Sealer, surface, wood preservative."  This is all of the information we have. Finally there is a poor copy of a newspaper article dating to 1958 with someone with a paint brush and a can of dark liquid - the caption states that this is a new wood preservative being used on this object.  I am trying to track down the original photograph to see it more clearly!

Any thoughts or leads would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

[Senior Science Meeting Minutes_2017_0503]
Gretchen Anderson
Conservator
Edward O'Neill Research Center
(Carnegie Museum of Natural History Annex)
5800 Forbes Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
(412) 665-2607 (Office)  (412) 420-9083 (Mobile)
AndersonG at carnegieMNH.org<mailto:AndersonG at carnegieMNH.org>

The information contained in this message and/or attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.