[Nhcoll-l] Pheremone traps

Tonya.Haff at csiro.au Tonya.Haff at csiro.au
Tue Oct 23 18:31:11 EDT 2018

Hi all,

First just thank you to all of you for being so generous with your time - I always find answers to my questions here and I really appreciate it.

Today I'm writing because I'm interested to hear about people's ideas about using pheromone traps for IPM in skin collections. We currently don't actively monitor for pests in our skin vaults (birds and mammals) with sticky traps, and I would like to start doing so. However, I'm not clear on whether it would be best to use blunder sticky traps (no pheromones), or pheromone-specific traps (I'm thinking for dermestids & anobiids beetles, and clothes moths). Should I worry that I might actually attract pests into the collections if I place pheromone traps there? Thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Tonya

Dr Tonya Haff
Collections Manager
Australian National Wildlife Collection
National Research Collections Australia, CSIRO
Canberra, Australia
Phone: (+61) 02 62421566