[Nhcoll-l] Use of denatured ethanol for short term storage of molecular samples

Nick Cairns nacairns at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 17:03:53 EDT 2019

Hello everyone,
I'm seeking guidance on reagents. I'm trying to collect chorus frogs from
across western Canada (whole and toe clips). These samples will be likely
be extracted using phenol/chloroform then ethanol (EtOH) precipitation to
tidy them up. Downstream they'll be used for mtDNA (Sanger) and genomic
(ddRAD) protocols. The issue is, I am currently in rural Saskatchewan and
only have denatured EtOH (Fisherbrand Histoprep 95%) available to me.  I
understand that the additives in some denatured EtOH can cause issues
downstream but has anyone ever used it for short term storage then replaced
it later with anhydrous to remove the additives? Can these additives be
reduced from the tissues after the fact?
Any insights would be most welcome.
Thank you,
Nick