[Nhcoll-l] natural history collections query

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Thu Feb 14 14:36:48 EST 2019

On 2/14/19 10:46 AM, Anna Thanukos wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm an educator at the University of California Museum of
> Paleontology.  For a grant we are submitting, I'm trying to come up
> with an estimate of the number of natural history collections there
> are in the United States (a bonus would be estimating how many of
> these lack significant public spaces and are mainly for scientific use).
>
> Any thoughts or rough estimates you have would be helpful.

This may prove helpful:

http://hbs.bishopmuseum.org/codens/codens-inst.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_herbaria_in_North_America

The ones with public spaces should be fairly easy to recognize, and it's
a safe assumption that most of the rest are strictly for research. Yes,
there will be a lot of overlap, but many of these institutions won't
have holdings of things like dinosaurs, etc. and won't show up in
routine searches for "natural history".

Peace,