[Nhcoll-l] avian eggshells — labeling

Opitz, Cindy E cindy-opitz at uiowa.edu
Tue Mar 26 11:16:03 EDT 2019

Hi, Adriana,
We’ve learned from our own egg collections that collectors didn’t always follow any standard. Some numbers on our eggs are AOU numbers, some are Ridgway numbers or numbers from other ornithological numbering systems (Dresser, Gray, Hume, Davies, Taylor…), but some are just inventions from the collectors’ own cataloging system. One of our collectors marked specimens with designations referring to the catalog page and position on the page, e.g. “35.w” –meaning page 35, 23rd line—which only really helps if you have that catalog in hand. For more standard designations, the letters that follow numbers could be part of old species numbering systems. As late as the 5th edition of the AOU checklist, for example, species 194 (Great Blue Heron) lists subspecies 194a through 194e, while the 3rd edition lists only subspecies 194a and 194b. For some of our egg specimens we’re fortunate to have the collectors’ egg data cards, and some of those bear numbers from multiple numbering systems (e.g. AOU and Ridgway), which is what I suspect is the case for some of your specimens with two designations that look like species numbers. Please share what you find out from others—I’m always looking for more leads to understanding what these designations are trying to convey.

Cindy Opitz
Collections Manager
Museum of Natural History and Old Capitol Museum
Instructor, UI Museum Studies Certificate Program
11 Macbride Hall
The University of Iowa
Iowa City IA 52242
319-335-0481
mnh.uiowa.edu<http://www.mnh.uiowa.edu/>,  oldcap.uiowa.edu<http://www.oldcap.uiowa.edu/>
[mnh_small] [cid:image008.png at 01D4E3BC.E97FF160]