[Nhcoll-l] Why retain physical specimens

Vicen Carrio v.carrio at nms.ac.uk
Thu Oct 10 09:44:31 EDT 2019

Hi Sarah,

I would like to add to this interesting subject something that I think it is missing and it is very important too.

I completely agree that the collections need to be digitized helping us to know what we have in the museums and that we must keep the physical specimens. Nevertheless, everybody should understand that the natural sciences specimens do not keep for ever, and that they can be damaged physical and environmentally. At this point, natural sciences conservators and preparators are very important. Once the specimens are digitalised, the specimens should be kept and cared for, and conservators and preparators will help the collections not to be destroyed or vanished. Unfortunately, due to constriction in money in some institutions, some museums are reducing the numbers of professionals in the field of natural sciences conservation and their jobs are given to people who have been not being trained for and consequently, the collections in natural sciences are getting damaged and lost.

I will always defend that the digitalization is needed and that it is very important, but without collections there are not museums and no research.

Vicen

Ms Vicen Carrió ACR
Geological Conservator/ Preparator
National Museums Scotland