[Nhcoll-l] Victorian Eggs: Fumigation and Appraisal

Matthew Becker m.becker at musnathist.com
Tue Oct 15 13:53:45 EDT 2019

Hello everyone!

Our museum is in the process of acquiring a Victorian-era egg collection
from a donor in the community and I had a couple of questions that some
of you might be able to answer.

First of all, does anyone have experience fumigating a collection of
eggs? The eggs are stored in 4 wooden cabinets that should be able to
fit into our fumigation freezer, but are their any concerns to be aware
of when dealing with the eggs themselves?

Also, I would like to be able to offer the donor an appraisal of the
collection for tax purposes, but because eggs are protected under the
Migratory Bird Treaty Act and thus have no market, I'm not really sure
how to go about assigning a value to the collection. If anyone has any
experience with this, or is aware of any sort of legal issues that could
arise given the nature of the collection, I would appreciate the insight.

Thank you for your time!

***

Matthew Becker
Collections Curator