[Nhcoll-l] Specimen loan packaging

William Simpson wsimpson at fieldmuseum.org
Tue Sep 3 15:14:30 EDT 2019

Hi Mandy,

We put specimens in sealed plastic bags, and then wrap each one with
thick polyester batting to pad it.   I'll look for the specs on this and
send them to you.

Best,

Bill

On 9/3/19 2:11 PM, Mandy Reid wrote:

> I am wondering whether anyone has been able to source a non-organic
> (hence non-insect attracting) packaging material for cushioning
> specimen loans other than styrofoam beads or plastic bubble wrap?
> Thanks
> Mandy
>
> Dr Mandy Reid
>
> Collection Manager, Malacology | Australian Museum Research Institute
> Australian Museum  1 William Street Sydney NSW 2010 Australia
> T 61 2 9320 6412 | M 61 431 829 842 | F 61 2 9320 6253
>

> Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
>
> The Australian Museum acknowledges the traditional custodians of the
> land and waterways on which the Museum is located, the Gadigal People
> of the Eora Nation. The Museum aspires to celebrate, educate and
> preserve the diverse natural history and cultures of Aboriginal and
> Torres Strait Islander People.
>
> https://www.publish.csiro.au/book/6526/
>

> <https://australianmuseum.net.au/project-discover> The Australian
> Museum email disclaimer The views in this email are those of the user
> and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian Museum. The
> information contained in this email message and any accompanying files
> is or may be confidential and is for the intended recipient only. If
> you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, reliance,
> forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any attached files is
> unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it
> and notify the sender. The Australian Museum does not guarantee the
> accuracy of any information contained in this e-mail or attached
> files. As Internet communications are not secure, the Australian
> Museum does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this
> message or attached files.

*

William F. Simpson*
Head of Geological Collections
McCarter Collections Manager, Fossil Vertebrates
Gantz Family Collections Center

O: 312.665.7628

Field Museum of Natural History
1400 South Lake Shore Drive