[Nhcoll-l] Why retain physical specimens

Callomon,Paul prc44 at drexel.edu
Thu Sep 26 14:20:03 EDT 2019

In the 1940s we took in the vast collection of Partula land snails that resulted from Henry Crampton's field work in Tahiti and the Society Islands during the preceding decades. The large and famous museum he was working at didn't want to keep them because they were just large-scale samples (thousands of shells and bodies) of a common species.
Partula is now extinct in the Society Islands. We have some of the only large-scale DNA-bearing samples, using which we should be able to reconstruct the native populations and figure out (a) what was once there and (b) how humans screwed it up.

Good thing we kept them, then...

PC

Paul Callomon
Collection Manager, Malacology and General Invertebrates
Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, Philadelphia
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
callomon at ansp.org<mailto:callomon at ansp.org> Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170