[Nhcoll-l] Why retain physical specimens

Kevin Winker kevin.winker at alaska.edu
Thu Sep 26 17:24:41 EDT 2019

All of these are great responses, and I'm sure we've all used variants of
them. But I wonder if perhaps we might reach more of the public by helping
them realize that images do not define things.

For example, once the marriage photos have been taken, why stay married?
Once your child's school photos have been taken...? If we want to know and
experience the real details, we need the real things.

Best, K.

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 10:02 AM Sarah K. Huber <skhuber at vims.edu> wrote:

> Recently I’ve been fielding a lot of questions about why our collection
> should retain a physical specimen once it has been digitized (e.g.,
> CT-scanned, photographed, x-rayed, etc.). I’m curious how often other
> museum professionals are asked this question and what your general
> you tell people it’s important to retain a specimen?
>

> If anyone knows of article that have addressed this specific question I
> would appreciate references so that I can have them on hand for
> particularly curious visitors.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Sarah
>

> Sarah K. Huber, Ph.D.
> Curatorial Associate, VIMS Nunnally Ichthyology Collection
> Office 804.684.7104 | Collection 804.684.7285
> skhuber at vims.edu |
> http://www.vims.edu/research/facilities/fishcollection/index.php
> PO Box 1346 | 1370 Greate Rd., Gloucester Pt., VA 23062

Kevin Winker
Brina Kessel Curator of Birds
University of Alaska Museum
907 Yukon Drive
Fairbanks, AK 99775

Professor, Dept. Biology & Wildlife and Inst. of Arctic Biology

<kevin.winker at alaska.edu>
kevin.winker at alaska.edu