[Nhcoll-l] Inquiring about COVID and specimen quarantine

Cody Thompson cwthomp at umich.edu
Wed Apr 15 14:32:04 EDT 2020

Elizabeth et al:

Just to follow up on Dirk's message, I personally worry most about
restrictions related to fieldwork.  There already have been a number of
recommendations made by various government agencies restricting field-based
bat research.  I personally worry that restricting research at this level
actually will lead to knowledge gaps between the organismal biology
necessary to inform biomedical research.  Similar restrictions occurred
with rodents following the discovery of hantavirus in the 4-corners area.
Hopefully, the current restrictions are retooled to balance the need for
basic science, active surveillance, and vouchering of host specimens.

That said, CETAF and DiSSCo have formed an international task force to
address some of the questions you have.  I believe information on the task
force was posted on this forum.  Here is the link
<https://www.dissco.eu/joint-covid-19-task-force/> for anyone interested in
participating.

Take care,
Cody

Cody W. Thompson, PhD
Mammal Collections Manager
& Assistant Research Scientist
University of Michigan
Museum of Zoology
3600 Varsity Drive
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108
Office: (734) 615-2810
Fax: (734) 763-4080
Email: cwthomp at umich.edu
Website: codythompson.org

“Museums have two main objectives: the increase of knowledge and the
diffusion of knowledge.”

-Alexander Ruthven