[Nhcoll-l] [MOGELIJK SPAM ! *****] Re: Freezing specimens in spirit

A.J.van_Dam at lumc.nl A.J.van_Dam at lumc.nl
Thu Aug 6 05:56:31 EDT 2020

Dear Tonya,

In addition to Dirk's and Simon's remarks:

If you freeze glass jars holding ethanol 70, they will implode due to the 30-40 times higher expansion coefficient of ethanol compared to that of glass.

If you freeze glass jars holding formalin, they will explode due to formation of ice (crystals).

Fluid preserved specimens should always be stored at constant temperature, preferably between 18 and 22 °C (temperature the users are motivated to work on the collections 😉 ).

Kind regards,

Dries

Andries J. van Dam | conservator

Museum of Anatomy | Leiden University Medical Center | Building 3 (V3-32)

P.O.Box 9600 | 2300 RC Leiden | The Netherlands

Visiting address: Hippocratespad 21 | Tel: +31 (0)71 52 68356 | E-mail: A.J.van_Dam at lumc.nl<https://mail.lumc.nl/owa/redir.aspx?C=O7wgy__4qEq-bCzDQhMP7IpMG33lsdEIUTcpXTatWwljNFWdpbtnBKj-HeYnbumJrkd3hILExAk.&URL=mailto%3aA.J.van_Dam%40lumc.nl>

Scientific associate | Natural History Museum London | http://www.nhm.ac.uk<https://mail.lumc.nl/owa/redir.aspx?C=O7wgy__4qEq-bCzDQhMP7IpMG33lsdEIUTcpXTatWwljNFWdpbtnBKj-HeYnbumJrkd3hILExAk.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.nhm.ac.uk%2f>