[Nhcoll-l] Natural History Museum of Los Angeles Offering Library Materials

Trevor Alixopulos talixopulos at nhm.org
Fri Aug 14 18:30:42 EDT 2020

Hi everyone from the Research Library of the Natural History Museum in LA!

We're using this pause in daily affairs as a chance to re-open our trove of
monographs and serials to public institutions.

This is a challenging moment for all libraries, but it may be a good time
for a little low-cost collection development.

We can pack them up for you and bill your institution for shipping fees.

Please refer to the below letter/spreadsheet for instructions.

For any questions about the materials please contact me at
talixopulos at nhm.org or our librarian at librarian at nhm.org

*Trevor Alixopulos*
Library Technician
900 Exposition Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90007
(213) 763-3387

Dear colleagues,

Apologies for cross-posting. The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles
County recently began a multi-year reorganization of its research library,
with the goal of focusing our resources on the needs of our own staff and
researchers.  In more than a century of existence, the library collection
has grown to include many items that are now outside our evolving
collecting scope or that have been rendered unnecessary to our institution
by new technologies, new knowledge, or new editions.

However, we recognize that items that no longer belong in our collection
could become a valued part of yours.  As we withdraw these items from the
collection, we therefore hope to find institutions for whose scope they are
more suitable.  Items we are withdrawing include serials, books, maps, and
other resources, from humanities and social sciences disciplines as well as
natural and physical sciences.  We will ask receiving institutions to pay
the cost of shipping materials, but are otherwise prepared to make
withdrawn items freely available to your institutions.

If you would like to see a current list of materials available, please view
our current list of offerings at http://bit.ly/NHMLAlibrary.  This is a
running list of items scheduled for disposition; it is not complete and
will be updated throughout the project. If you would like to be notified
when we update the list, please fill out the form here:
http://bit.ly/NHMLAlib_updates. Please email librarian at nhm.org with any
questions or requests.

We look forward to working with many of you to ensure the best possible
access to these materials for the scholars, patrons, and visitors we all
support. Please feel free to share with any appropriate lists and
colleagues.

Best,

Yolanda Bustos

Museum Archivist and Library Resources Manager

Trina Roberts

Associate VP, Collections

900 Exposition Blvd

Los Angeles, CA 90007