[Nhcoll-l] Digital objects vs. physical objects in collection management databases and how to manage them

Randall, Zachary zrandall at flmnh.ufl.edu
Wed Aug 26 15:49:41 EDT 2020

I should clarify that our 2D image data (photographs) are added as prep types as well as collection object attachments. Our CT data is currently only added as prep types since it’s all freely accessible on MorphoSource (MS). We have the RSS feed from MS integrated with our collection IPT making the scans discoverable to aggregators. However, currently we don’t have a link yet between MS and our collection database. If you currently search our online database the only way you’ll know we have CT data is because it’s listed as a prep type. We intend to also include a collection object attachment for CT and is something we are currently working on. For the attachment we want to avoid hosting duplicated data that is already on MS, while at the same time identifying our institution as being the home repository for the raw CT data.

In the end we try to use a combination of prep type and collection object attachment as a means to make the data discoverable. We are definitely looking forward to future methods on how to support and convey this digital media.

Also, I’m interested to know how other institutions have tied data hosted on MS into their local database. Please email me if you'd like to share your methods (since it's a different thread topic).

Here is an example of one of our collection records on iDigBio that has a 2D image and CT data:
https://www.idigbio.org/portal/records/1dfa5b41-bf10-414a-925b-9dad7b2e8958

Same record on our online-database:
http://specifyportal.flmnh.ufl.edu/fishes/  (catalog number 160521)

Best,
Zach
--
Zachary S. Randall
Biological Scientist & Imaging Lab Manager

www.zacharyrandall.org