[Nhcoll-l] Barcode supplier question and Barcodes for Fluid Digitization question

Kaminsky,Laurel lkaminsky at floridamuseum.ufl.edu
Mon Feb 10 14:53:54 EST 2020

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I have a few questions about barcodes. One is a general question and another two are related to working with fluid collections (caterpillars in isopropanol).

1)      Does anyone know of a supplier that prints barcodes in one long coil (one column)? Preferably laminated. Does anyone know of companies that make barcodes that are perforated?

Related to fluid digitization and barcoding:

2)      Is it best practices to put 2 copies of the barcode on one lot/specimen? One on the outside of the vial and one in the fluid? As a Lepidoptera collection, we'd be curious to see what the best practices are for other fluid collections.

3)      We'd appreciate advice on suppliers or how to print these in house (preferably with a data matrix code): Adhesive barcodes on the outside of the glass vial or a barcode that can be placed in fluid.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Laurel Kaminsky

Digitization Manager, McGuire Center for Lepidoptera and Biodiversity