[Nhcoll-l] Barcode supplier question and Barcodes for Fluid Digitization question

Derek Sikes dssikes at alaska.edu
Mon Feb 10 15:13:23 EST 2020

Laurel,

The University of Alaska Museum Insect Collection uses EIM and buy rolls of
pre-printed barcode stickers.

My contact is Ed August
Account Manager | Electronic Imaging Materials, Inc. | barcode-labels.com
20 Forge Street | Keene, NH  03431 | p:  (800) 535-6987 | (603) 357-1459 |
Standard Terms & Conditions

They produce small circular barcode stickers that we put on the bottom of
our vials (and store our vials upside down (prevents evaporation, but any
bad caps could cause total drainage of ethanol)). The stickers have
archival adhesive but have a shelf life prior to use of 1 year (once used,
they are supposed to work forever). We also include inside the vial a human
readable version of the code.

Here's what they look like  - scroll to the bottom to see a unit tray of
vials: https://www.uaf.edu/museum/collections/ento/projects/

-Derek

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 10:54 AM Kaminsky,Laurel <
lkaminsky at floridamuseum.ufl.edu> wrote:

> Dear Friends and Colleagues,
>

> I have a few questions about barcodes. One is a general question and
> another two are related to working with fluid collections (caterpillars in
> isopropanol).
>

> 1)      Does anyone know of a supplier that prints barcodes in one long
> coil (one column)? Preferably laminated. Does anyone know of companies that
> make barcodes that are perforated?
>

> Related to fluid digitization and barcoding:
>
> 2)      Is it best practices to put 2 copies of the barcode on one
> lot/specimen? One on the outside of the vial and one in the fluid? As a
> Lepidoptera collection, we’d be curious to see what the best practices are
> for other fluid collections.
>
> 3)      We’d appreciate advice on suppliers or how to print these in house
> (preferably with a data matrix code): Adhesive barcodes on the outside of
> the glass vial or a barcode that can be placed in fluid.
>

> Thank you in advance for your help,
>
> Laurel Kaminsky
>
> Digitization Manager, McGuire Center for Lepidoptera and Biodiversity

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Derek S. Sikes, Curator of Insects
Professor of Entomology
University of Alaska Museum
1962 Yukon Drive
Fairbanks, AK   99775-6960

dssikes at alaska.edu

phone: 907-474-6278
FAX: 907-474-5469

University of Alaska Museum  -  search 400,276 digitized arthropod records
http://arctos.database.museum/uam_ento_all
<http://www.uaf.edu/museum/collections/ento/>

Society and / or sign up for the email listserv "Alaska Entomological
Network" at
http://www.akentsoc.org/contact_us