[Nhcoll-l] Workshop: Genomics in Natural History Collections, 12-14 March 2020

Kim Ballare kim.ballare at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 16:52:09 EST 2020

Dear All,

A limited number of spots are still available! The workshop will focus on
genomic techniques and challenges specific to collections, and is
specifically aimed at researchers and curators with little or no experience
in genetic/genomic work, to enable them to utilize emerging DNA sequencing
technologies and facilitate genomic research in natural history
collections. We will hold the workshop at the California Academy of
Sciences in San Francisco from 12-14 March, 2020.

We have a fantastic line-up of speakers, hands-on demonstrations, and panel
discussions, including a keynote talk by genomicist Dr. Ed Green, who was
the first to sequence the complete Neanderthal genome. Admission to the Cal
Academy public exhibits and NightLife event (21+) on Thursday 12th is
included in the workshop registration.

The workshop is co-organized by Beth Shapiro (Paleogenomics Lab, UC Santa
Cruz), Brian Simison (Center for Comparative Genomics, California Academy
of Sciences), and me (Paleogenomics Lab, UC Santa Cruz) and is sponsored by
the Institute for Museum and Library Services.

Please follow the link below to see the full schedule and to register. Feel
free to contact me directly if you have any questions.

https://www.calacademy.org/imls-museum-genomics-workshop-2020

--
Kim Ballare, PhD

(she/her/hers)
Post-Doctoral Scholar, Paleogenomics Lab
University of California, Santa Cruz
lab website: https://pgl.soe.ucsc.edu/
e-mail: kballare at ucsc.edu