[Nhcoll-l] Lighting for large, modern, alcohol preserved specimens facility

Rob Robins rhrobins at flmnh.ufl.edu
Thu Jan 30 11:53:13 EST 2020

Hi Folks,
The University of Florida has funded and is planning the construction of a 29,000 gross sq. ft. (gsf) facility for the fluid-preserved collections at the Florida Museum of Natural History. (Hooray!).

Approximately 20,000 gsf will contain the compactorized shelving on which we will maintain, grow, and provide access to the millions of fishes, herp, and invertebrate specimens in our care (and a handful of mammals and birds).

My question for the group concerns lighting these spaces.

What we know: Lights will be overhead LED, motion activated by zone, and hopefully dimmable. We expect the shelving will be perforated.

The question: Being only generally aware of the potential threat to specimens from UV light systems, what if any safeguards are required for LED systems?

Best wishes,

Rob Robins

Robert H. Robins
Collection Manager
Division of Ichthyology
[FLMNH Fishes logo email small]
Florida Museum of Natural History
1659 Museum Rd.
Gainesville, FL 32611-7800
Office: (352) 273-1957
rhrobins at flmnh.ufl.edu<mailto:rhrobins at flmnh.ufl.edu>

Search the Collection:
http://specifyportal.flmnh.ufl.edu/fishes/

[Fishes in the FWofF_cover_front resized 30]   [21711Amazing Pollinators E-sig FNL]