[Nhcoll-l] Herbarium move

Lewis, Deborah A [EEOB] dlewis at iastate.edu
Thu Jul 30 13:23:09 EDT 2020

Hi, Thomas,
Are you planning to continue to store the specimens in the herbarium cabinets in which they are currently housed? We moved the University of Iowa Herbarium (IA), which contained >200,000 specimens, to the Iowa State University Herbarium (ISC) by carefully packing the specimens within the cabinets. We followed the protocols used during a move of specimens/cabinets at the University of California (UC-JEPS) as described in the book Managing the Modern Herbarium -- https://www.universityproducts.com/managing-the-modern-herbarium.html; the chapter on moving herbaria was written by Barbara Ertter.
You may wish to also post your message to the HERBARIA listserv described and accessible from this site: https://www.herbariumcurators.org/herbaria-listserv.
Best wishes,
Deborah

Deborah Q. Lewis, Curator
Ada Hayden Herbarium (ISC/IA)
Ecology, Evolution and Organismal Biology (EEOB) Department         Email: dlewis at iastate.edu
319 Bessey Hall                                                                                                         Phone:  515-294-9499
Iowa State University                                                                                             FAX:  515-294-1337
2200 Osborn Drive
Ames, IA  50011-4009