[Nhcoll-l] Best Collections Management software for a small university collection

Madeline Walicek Madeline_Walicek1 at alumni.baylor.edu
Mon Jun 15 15:35:13 EDT 2020

Hello all,
I am beginning a new position as assistant curator of natural history collections and I find myself in need of a collections management software. I come from a museum background so this university collection is slightly newer territory. It's a biological collection of roughly 5-7,000 specimens consisting of mammals, birds, insects, shells and fossils. It's also slowly growing. Currently all catalogue data is housed on Excel. I'd like to migrate the data to a natural history specific software. I'm aware of Arctos, Specify, EMu, Rediscovery and Past Perfect. I'm looking for opinions/suggestions of what might be the best fit for my collection long term. The curator would also like the data to eventually be sent to VertNet/iDigBio. We're open to both open source and proprietary software. I appreciate your help.

Warmest regards,

Madeline Walicek
Abilene Christian University
Assistant Curator of Natural History Collections
Biology Department
c. 512.227.2152