[Nhcoll-l] U.S. State Department Public Consultation, "Concerning the Use of Digital Sequence Information of Genetic Resources" 12 March 2020.

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Thu Mar 5 11:26:59 EST 2020

Hi Breda, hi all,

sadly there are more models; while the Pretoria meeting seemed to have
been productive, the results presented in the report shouldn't be
overrated - it is one of many studies. There seems to be some sort of
consent that bilateral systems will hardly work. The worrying bit is the
discussed introduction of subscription models. In parallel, introduction
of similar subscription models were discussed for the seed treaty
(ITPGRFA), but finally failed and are unlikely to be picked up in the
next two years. Similar discussions (introduction of multilateral
benefit sharing systems) is currently discussed in BBNJ negotiations.

So there is some pressure to create such cash-cow systems, there are
promises that basic research / taxonomy should be spared out are because
of their importance for the first two objectives of the CBD (and
post-2020 Biodiversity goals), but scepticism is indicated.

Therefore, I can only second that it would be good if SPNHC members
would raise their concerns in this hearing.

With best wishes
Dirk

Am 05.03.2020 um 15:44 schrieb Zimkus, Breda Marie:

> Dear All,
>
> Thanks to Barbara for sharing information about the upcoming public
> meeting being hosted by the U.S. State Department. Please note that
> the time included in the federal register notice was incorrectly
> published as 10pm EST, but *the meeting is at 10:00 am. – 12:00 pm.*
>
> I have just learned that they will also be offering a dial-in option
> for public participation (technology willing) given concerns regarding
> the coronavirus:
>
> Call in (U.S. toll-free #): 888-684-8852
>
> Call in (international tool): 215-446-0155
>
> Access code: 9980402
>
> Mr. Patrick Murphy, the U.S. Focal Point for the Nagoya Protocol,
> informed me that you do not have to register to call in. Also, they
> would still welcome electronic comments (until April 30^th ) if you
> participate via phone. He also suggested that groups that have
> previously submitted electronic comments to the CBD can send comments
> to the U.S. State Department concerning a recent publication published
> by ABS Capacity Development Initiative:
>
> http://www.abs-initiative.info/countries-and-regions/africa/south-africa/1st-global-dialogue-on-digital-sequence-information-on-genetic-resources/
>

> (download the report under Related Downloads)
>
> Specifically, there are five different models presented on pages
> 16-20, and he suggested that comments address the feasibility of each
> option.
>
> Best,
>
> Breda
>
> ---
>
> Breda M. Zimkus, Ph.D.
> Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University
> 26 Oxford Street, Cambridge, MA 02138; Tel: 617-496-4656
>
> --
>
> A meeting of interest to SPNHC members interested in the future of the
> use of DSI:
>
> **
>
> (from the federal register
> website:https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/02/20/2020-03423/notice-of-public-meeting-concerning-the-use-of-digital-sequence-information-of-genetic-resources
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.federalregister.gov_documents_2020_02_20_2020-2D03423_notice-2Dof-2Dpublic-2Dmeeting-2Dconcerning-2Dthe-2Duse-2Dof-2Ddigital-2Dsequence-2Dinformation-2Dof-2Dgenetic-2Dresources&d=DwMFAg&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=0rLpEBOI3fdAC8BAE7C6vc-A7j0llxW_R5YUM4Y1OME&m=xTWpxwY4a7yIDegrAXuaYgvNwU62TrDyxggx0XgHDlo&s=RGGoqSO6Qc-qweXi-FbOpjWwiYczhNP4zC2atFDKPv8&e=>):
>
> **
>
> *Concerning the Use of Digital Sequence Information of Genetic Resources*
>
> In order to inform U.S. Government policy and international
> engagement, the U.S. Department of State (DOS) invites submission of
> comments from the public, academia, industry, and other stakeholders
> for an ongoing process under the Convention on Biological Diversity
> concerning the use of “digital sequence information (DSI) on genetic
> [...]

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/