[Nhcoll-l] Job Posting to Nhcoll

Adam Ferguson aferguson at fieldmuseum.org
Tue Mar 10 14:53:29 EDT 2020

Dear Webmaster:

I am hoping to have the below job description for a Collection Manager of
Herpetology at the Field Museum posted onto the Nhcoll listserv.

Hopefully this is possible and I am going about it the right way but please
let me know if you need anything else from me or if I should do something
else.

Thank you in advance for your help with this.

All the best,

Adam

Field Museum- Collection Manager, HerpetologyChicago, IL

The Field Museum is hiring a Collection Manager to manage its world-class
Herpetology collections.

The Field Museum houses one of the world’s largest collections of
zoological specimens. The 306,000-specimen Amphibian and Reptile Collection
is comprised of over 286,688 catalog entries.

The collection is a major research resource for the national and
international scientific communities. Containing unique material of special
historical and ecological significance, the collection is world-class in
size as well as taxonomic and geographic scope. The bulk of the collection
(98%) is stored in 70% ethanol and contained in over 30,000 jars and 97
steel tanks. The skeletal collection contains over 7,600 skeletons and
1,700 cleared and stained preparations.  There are also over 20,000
specimens with genetic resources stored in our cryogenic facility.

Applications must include Cover Letter and CV to be considered. Review of
applications will begin on April 10th, 2020.

Duties and Responsibilities

The Collection Manager reports to the Head of Zoological collections and
will supervise a staff managing day-to-day activities in the Herpetology
collection. The Collection Manager will work jointly with curators to set
long and short-term priorities for the Herpetology collections. The
Collection Manager will also interact with other collections areas,
research scientists, exhibitions developers, and education staff. The
Collection Manager will have opportunities to seek funding for collections
improvements and specimen-based research projects. The successful candidate
will be evaluated on the ability to promote, study, build, care for, and
ensure accessibility to the great wealth of specimens in the collection.

Responsibilities include:

   - Managing digitization tasks including imaging specimens,
   georeferencing, species inventory, and development and evaluation of
   workflows and standards to ensure best practices;
   - Incorporating new material into the collection, preparing, sorting,
   identifying, and cataloging specimens;
   - Tracking and reporting metrics of collection use and growth;
   - Managing the herpetology collection budget;
   - Coordinating an active loan program and on-site use of the collection
   by researchers;
   - Participating in the museum’s public programming and promoting the
   mission of the museum and its fundraising goals;
   - Training, mentorship, and supervision of staff, interns, and
   volunteers in the collection.

Qualifications

   - PhD (with an emphasis in Herpetology) with collections experience is
   preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience, e.g.,
   Masters in Biology (with an emphasis in Herpetology) with at least 3 year's
   collections experience;
   - A well-versed background in Herpetology is required, including
   familiarity with other Herpetology collections and research;
   - Knowledge of taxonomic principles and Herpetology collection
   management;
   - Strong organizational skills necessary to keep collection accessible;
   - Ample experience with collection databases, imaging systems, and data
   aggregators is required, as well as a strong history of managing
   digitization projects;
   - Working knowledge of international and domestic regulations for
   shipment of specimens and requirements for packing loans;
   - Strong history of building and managing a diverse team of staff,
   interns, and volunteers.

https://careers.hireology.com/fieldmuseumtrial/378844/description

--

*Adam W. Ferguson, Ph.D.*