[Nhcoll-l] Barbara Brown

Thiers, Barbara bthiers at nybg.org
Wed Mar 11 11:07:08 EDT 2020

I am sorry to report that long time SPNHC member Barbara Brown has passed away.  I copy below from a message that was sent to the AMNH staff about her passing.  We will plan a longer tribute for the newsletter and for the meeting in Edinburgh.

"I have some very sad news to share. Barbara Brown, Curatorial Associate in the Department of Ichthyology passed away. Barb began at the Museum over 35 years ago. In her long tenure as the curation management head for the department, Barb oversaw extensive growth of the collections, vastly increased usage, two major moves and reorganizations, an NSF-supported collections improvement grant, and one whole-scale renovation of the department offices and facilities.

In 2011, Barb was a founding member of the AMNH Collections Managers group who meet monthly to share ideas and solutions regarding collections management issues. The group was founded when recently appointed collection managers approached Barb to ask for her advice and mentoring. As a seasoned collection manager Barb offered support, a sympathetic ear and good advice. She was a much loved member of the group and she will be sorely missed.

Barb was also an active participant in the wider collections community for many years and served as Treasurer to the Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections from 2006 until 2012. She was responsible for the financial and membership management of the Society and oversaw the transition to an online membership database which had a significant impact on the success of the Society."

Dr. Barbara M. Thiers
Vice President
Patricia K. Holmgren Director of the William and Lynda Steere Herbarium
Curator of Bryophytes
Editor, Index Herbariorum
President, Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections
New York Botanical Garden
Bronx, NY 10458-5126
bthiers at nybg.org<mailto:bthiers at nybg.org>
718-817-8626