[Nhcoll-l] Number of Freeze Dried Specimens in Your Collections

Alex Krohn alex.krohn1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 18:34:57 EDT 2020

Hi everyone,

At the Norris Center for Natural History
<https://norriscenter.ucsc.edu/> (UCSC),
we have a number of freeze-dried, mounted specimens -- mostly birds and
mammals. See here for more details on the preparation methods.
<https://www.cuddonfreezedry.com/freeze-drying-taxidermy/#:~:text=>

I have a student who is interested in comparing DNA yields from extractions
from the toe-pads or ears of "traditionally" prepared skins, and from the
internal organs or muscles of freeze-dried specimens (controlling for
species, specimen age, etc.). Our research would potentially inform
museums/researchers about which preparation method yields better DNA, in
the case that the researcher has the choice between extracting from
freeze-dried or skinned and stuffed specimens.

This is a common problem for our collection where, due to having very few
specimens associated with tissue samples, and given our proximity to a
talented local taxidermist who freeze dries specimens. For researchers
willing to work with historic or degraded DNA, we have the option to choose
between taking a toe pad from a study skin, or potentially muscle/organ
from a freeze dried specimen. However, I wonder for how many institutions
are in similar situations.

*Do you have freeze-dried specimens prepared in the manner described above
at your museum? If so, how many total specimens do you have? Would you be
interested to know if those freeze dried specimens hold more potential for
DNA extractions than skinned and stuffed specimens?*

Given that the responses are likely only relevant for my study, feel free
to not reply-all.

Thank you for your help,

Alex Krohn

Alex Krohn
Assistant Director
Kenneth S. Norris Center for Natural History
Office: 239 Nat Sci II
he/him/his

Mailstop: ENVS
University of California, Santa Cruz