[Nhcoll-l] Bear Cub in a Jar

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Tue Mar 17 14:40:12 EDT 2020

Hi Susan,

the colouring is normal - what you can see there is basically lipids,
haemoglobin (if there are open wounds) and other substances of low
molecular weight diluting from the specimen into the storage fluid. If
the soft stain of the fluid is bearable for your purposes, leave it as
it is, as it will balance further leaching from the specimen. If you
(continue) to exchange the fluid, you will continue the process (it
should stop if the equilibrium inside the fluid is reached).

Sealing the jar: if this is a screw-on lid, you can enhance it e.g. with
parafilm. If this should be some sort of permanent seal (which would be
easy to realise), then bee-wax candles are a good and reasonable
alternative to produce a good (air tight) seal (use the candle and
carefully melt the wax around the neck of the jar to close the gap to
the lid - this also works with flanged jars, but the wax on the flange
of the beaker should be evenly spread and still hot and fluid, when the
lid is placed onto it).

I would avoid rinsing it with Isoprop at this stage (if it is in
ethanol) already; surely would cause more harm than improving the
current status of the specimen.

And yes, John is still around and may have careful comments on my
straight-forward offers ;-)

Hope this helps
Dirk

--

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/