[Nhcoll-l] Large pelt storage - roll or drape?

Hornsby, Angela angela.hornsby at mso.umt.edu
Thu Mar 19 01:25:26 EDT 2020

Hello everyone,

I have a variety of large tanned pelts -- bighorn sheep, bear, horse, etc. -- that need storage upgrades on limited space.

Flat storage is not an option.  I can either roll them, or drape them over 4" PVC pipes (these are empty, so no fear or leaking).  I'm concerned that rolling would flatten or break the hairs, and that draping would stretch the pelts over time.

Is there a clear preference, or another option I'm not thinking of?  Thanks in advance!

Angela

Angela Hornsby, Ph.D.
Curator, Philip L. Wright Zoological Museum (UMZM)
Office ISB 322
University of Montana
Phone (406) 243-4743