[Nhcoll-l] off-coloured EtOH

Gregory Schneider ges at umich.edu
Fri Mar 20 09:42:20 EDT 2020

I had that problem in recent years. We use 55 gallon steel drums. A while
back, I was convinced  the water mixed in the ethanol was oxidizing the
metal in the drum and giving it a "rust color". I switched to phenolic
lined drums, but eventually, the dilute ethanol started to discolor with
the light brown / orange color of the lining. I have recently purchased
LDPE plastic liners for our new 55 gallon drums for dilute solutions of
ethanol, but I haven't tried them yet.  Are your dilutions in metal
containers?

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Schneider
Division of Reptiles and Amphibians
Museum of Zoology
Research Museums Center
3600 Varsity Drive
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108

734 647 1927

ges at umich.edu

[image: Description: Description: logocolor]

www.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/rep_amph/index.html