[Nhcoll-l] collections based database software

Carla Cicero ccicero at berkeley.edu
Wed May 20 14:12:14 EDT 2020

Hi Steve - Thanks for this email. I just sent Amanda a separate email
suggesting that they also consider Arctos, with a few details about the
system and community.

We are happy to answer any questions Amanda might have about Arctos.

Best,
Carla

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 11:09 AM Ginzbarg, Steve <sginzbar at ua.edu> wrote:

> Dear Amanda,
>
> I am looking at Arctos, https://arctosdb.org/. I like their business
> model. If you want a feature and they think it will be useful to others
> they will incorporate it. If not, you pay them to add it. Cost of the
> software is based on number of specimen records.
>
> I think that Sustain Specify making their code available is defeating the
> purpose of having one unified program that serves many users.
>
> Many of the examples in the Darwin Core quick reference guide,
> https://dwc.tdwg.org/terms/, are from Arctos.
>
> Arctos has been around since the 1990s. I like their webinar tutorials.
>
> All data are securely stored at the Texas Advanced Computing Center.
>
> Is anyone using Arctos who could comment on it?
>
> Steve Ginzbarg
> Assistant Curator
> The University of Alabama Herbarium (UNA)
> ------------------------------

Carla Cicero, Ph.D
Staff Curator of Birds
Museum of Vertebrate Zoology