[Nhcoll-l] collections based database software

Willem Coetzer W.Coetzer at saiab.ac.za
Fri May 22 11:18:32 EDT 2020

Hi Amanda
I thought you might like to know that we have been using Specify software in our institute for very nearly 20 years (I think next year is our 20th anniversary), and I have been managing the database for 15 years. We have therefore seen a number of Specify platforms and versions. As an organization we have not once looked back, and this is primarily due to the very strong and helpful team backing this application (not to mention the database schema and application, but I do believe that the success of Specify is the people behind it).
If something untoward has happened, we have always been assured that we can rely on Jim’s team to help us out.
I was reflecting on how we are able to continue cataloguing during one of the world’s strictest lockdowns (using the Specify 7 web application), and I realized how well the Specify team and this product are keeping up with improving technology.
There are 15 institutions in South Africa that use Specify (though we have been using the product for longer than anyone else in this country). There used to be a debate about which software to use, but we have recently seen the birth of a new facilitating organization for natural history collections, which has endorsed Specify. I think this bodes very well for the continued use of Specify in South African natural history collections, and for the development of skills and capacity among young people, to improve the state of our collections.
Please contact me if you are interested our different Specify uses and contexts.
Best wishes
Willem

[cid:imageee6a45.PNG at d5e4f19c.46bf864e]    [cid:image2d59c1.PNG at 0ab5a120.48854855] <https://twitter.com/NRF_SAIAB>  [cid:imageac8ab6.PNG at c7cf087c.44b27ebd] <https://www.facebook.com/NRFSAIAB/>

Somerset Street
        Willem Coetzer

Makhanda, 6139  Biodiversity Information Manager
Private Bag 1015        Tel:    +27 46 603 5841
Makhanda, 6140  Fax:    +27 46 603 5825
South Africa    Email:  W.Coetzer at saiab.ac.za<mailto:W.Coetzer at saiab.ac.za>
http://www.saiab.ac.za/<http://http://www.saiab.ac.za/>

Disclaimer:<http://www.nrf.ac.za/email-legal-notice.php> http://www.nrf.ac.za/email-legal-notice.php