[Nhcoll-l] Test for formalin

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Wed May 27 06:16:25 EDT 2020

Hi Mandy,

adding to Simon's well reasoned reply: you could check if pH indicator
strips would work, if the specimens have been stored in formalin
seawater, the pH should be rather low (around 4 or so), and you should
have a different colour staining if exposed in alcohol. Even though pH
readings in aqueous solutions of alcohol surely would be inaccurate, you
should still receive a different colour reaction that might to the job
(comparable to fuchsin staining in Schiff's reagent).

Might be worth trying with samples of known concentrations.

All the best
Dirk

Am 27.05.2020 um 00:45 schrieb Mandy Reid:

> We are about to embark on a project in our Malacology collection at
> the Australian Museum to transfer all our formalin stored specimens to
> ethanol. The formalin specimens are in 5%-10% formalin/seawater
> solution. Not all specimen lots are stored in formalin, and the
> preservative is unknown for some, particularly historic material.
>
> Our routine test is to determine whether the storage solution is
> miscible with water when a few drops are placed on dish or tray
> (therefore formalin), whereas an alcohol solution will ‘repel’ a water
> droplet. This test is not always clear and ideally I would like to use
> something like test strips, or a stain solution that would give a
> quick and clear result. I understand that Schiffs reagent works, but
> that is also a carcinogen.
>
> I have an excellent paper that gives a method of making test strips:
> Waller, R. (1987). A spot test to distinguish formalin from alcohol
> solutions. /Curator, the Museums Journal. /240-249.
>
> I am wondering whether anyone can recommend commercially available
> test strips that would be suitable? (Or some other method.) The strips
> that I have investigated online seem to be used mainly to test
> contaminated water samples and are too sensitive for our needs.
>
> Thank You!
>
> Dr Mandy Reid
>
> Collection Manager, Malacology | Australian Museum Research Institute
>
> Australian Museum  1 William Street Sydney NSW 2010 Australia
>
> *T*61 2 9320 6412 | *M* 61 431 829 842 | *F* 61 2 9320 6253
>
> Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
>
> The Australian Museum acknowledges the traditional custodians of the
> land and waterways on which the Museum is located, the Gadigal People
> of the Eora Nation. The Museum aspires to celebrate, educate and
> preserve the diverse natural history and cultures of Aboriginal and
> Torres Strait Islander People.
>
> <https://australianmuseum.net.au/project-discover> The Australian
> Museum email disclaimer The views in this email are those of the user
> and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian Museum. The
> information contained in this email message and any accompanying files
> is or may be confidential and is for the intended recipient only. If
> you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, reliance,
> forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any attached files is
> unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it
> and notify the sender. The Australian Museum does not guarantee the
> accuracy of any information contained in this e-mail or attached
> files. As Internet communications are not secure, the Australian
> Museum does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this
> message or attached files.

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/