[Nhcoll-l] We need your help: brief survey- undergraduates using museum collections

Flemming,Adania aflemming at flmnh.ufl.edu
Thu Nov 19 12:34:58 EST 2020

Hello SPNHC folks,

Thanks to everyone who has completed this survey already. This is a reminder to please complete it if you have not yet found the time to do so.

Do you use or have you considered using natural history collections in your undergraduate courses? If so, please help with my research on courses using natural history collections by filling out this brief survey<https://ufl.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5b9rYCgKiKD95Rz>.

BACKGROUND: My name is Adania Flemming. I am a PhD student in the department of Biology with joint appointment in the Florida Museum of Natural History, at the University of Florida. I am also a research assistant with iDigBio (Integrated Digitized Biocollections). I created an Introduction to Natural History Museums course geared towards introducing undergraduate students to careers in Science Technology Engineering Art and Mathematics (STEAM) through hands on research-based projects. As part of my research, I am interested in knowing if similar courses exist and understanding the goals of those courses.

I am specifically interested in courses meant to introduce students to the nature of science, provide an understanding of how scientific knowledge is generated, and what conducting research entails. I would like to know the role that museum specimens play in this process of learning. I am secondarily interested in how museum collections are used in other aspects of teaching undergraduate students.

Last, my collaborator Kari Harris, who started the Natural History Collections Club Network (NHCCN), is interested in gathering information about relevant student clubs near you.

Please complete the survey<https://tinyurl.com/MuseumCourses> by Wednesday 2nd December at 5pm Eastern. Feel free to email me directly if you have questions.

Full Survey Link: https://ufl.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5b9rYCgKiKD95Rz

Thank you!

Regards,
Adania Flemming M.S.
Pronouns:<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mypronouns.org_what-2Dand-2Dwhy&d=DwMGaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=zThVZankKygkmOSU-DBh_YxCMdMo43h3aMJBSnI8M6c&m=52f2X9OtFcSDGRLM0XUJ77f5-zjFCYwYArT8ZkhXKMc&s=u0gctAQkmIRkamtvvL7ble1cfostm09CntkF7uSou50&e=> She/her/hers
Department of Biology
Florida Museum of Natural History<https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/>/iDigBio<https://www.idigbio.org/>/TESI<https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/earth-systems/about-the-institute/>
University of Florida
Office Phone: 352-273-1951