[Nhcoll-l] Jar liners

Neisskenwirth, Fabian Fabian.Neisskenwirth at ruhrmuseum.de
Wed Nov 25 04:11:42 EST 2020

Dear Tonya,

about the gaskets for bail-top jars, I would advise you (and everyone interested) to let be produced by some local rubber-manufacturing company. It’s much faster than to look for the right buna-n gaskets (which actually is just Nitril Rubber). You can even let them be made by your own choice of plastics, depending on the Fluid you will be using to preserve. So you can have a better resistance to the fluid and lifespan of the gasket. I have had very good experience using FKM, which is incredibly durable and resistant to both alcohols and formaldehyde.

The gaskets have normed sizes you can take and give to the company and they will produce them exactly as you wish.

Usually the production costs aren’t so expensive, so on one side you will support your local rubber industry and on the other have a very long-lasting gasket ;>)

All best!

--
Fabian Neisskenwirth
Zoologischer Präparator