[Nhcoll-l] vacuum sealers

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Wed Sep 9 12:29:33 EDT 2020

Charles

No, have never used a vacuum sealer and not sure if it would have any adverse effects on the specimens – maybe drawing moisture and preservative out of the specimens during shipping or maybe even damaging small bones or cartilaginous structures in the specimen due to shrinkage.  I guess you could stop the vacuum process before it gets to that point?  I usually use a regular bag sealer for fish and leave a small amount of air in the bag to act as a pillow of protection for the specimens inside – even though we also use packing peanuts and a sturdy box when shipping.

Andy

     A  :                A  :               A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
     V                   V                  V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager
University of Kansas
Biodiversity Institute
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
USA

Tel: (785) 864-3863
Fax: (785) 864-5335
Email: abentley at ku.edu<mailto:abentley at ku.edu>
http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu<http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu/>

     A  :                A  :                A  :
     V                   V                   V