[Nhcoll-l] [EXT]Re: Mold in our bird collection

Jean-Marc Gagnon JMGAGNON at nature.ca
Wed Sep 16 12:08:38 EDT 2020

Ariel,

While this is not directly addressing sources of moisture from within the cabinets, we’ve found (and Rob will remember) that normal, regular floor cleaning within the collection rooms was a significant source of moisture within the rooms.

Being in a new building, we also wanted to keep it nice and clean. Maintenance staff would typically come in with their bucket of warm soapy water and big mop and leave the cleaned floor with quite a bit of water remaining on the surface. This water would also get under the cabinets. This was particularly critical for cabinets sitting directly on the floor. While we did not observe mould on our specimens, our cleaner are now instructed to thoroughly wring their mop to leave as little water as possible on the surfaces.

Do keep us informed of your conclusions and remediation approaches.

Cheers,

Jean-Marc

Jean-Marc Gagnon, Ph.D.
Curator, Invertebrate Collections / Chief Scientist
Conservateur, Collection des invertébrés / Expert scientifique en chef
Canadian Museum of Nature / Musée canadien de la nature
613 364 4066
613 851-7556 cell
613 364 4027 Fax
jmgagnon at nature.ca<mailto:jmgagnon at nature.ca>

Adresse postale / Postal Address:
Canadian Museum of Nature     / Musée canadien de la nature
P.O. Box 3443, Sta. D   / Casier Postal 3443, Succ. D
Ottawa, ON K1P 6P4                / Ottawa, ON K1P 6P4
Canada                         / Canada

Adresse de livraison / Courier Address :
1740 Pink Road, Gatineau, QC, J9J 3N7