[Nhcoll-l] new article - iodine staining/diceCT

Catherine Early cearly at smm.org
Tue Sep 29 20:21:32 EDT 2020

Hi all,

I wanted to share our recent article comparing the impacts of iodine stains
in different solvents on fluid-preserved house sparrow specimens. Broadly,
our results suggest that using ethanol instead of water as a solvent for
these stains may be better for the long-term preservation of
fluid-preserved vertebrate (or at least avian) specimens in collections.
The specimens stained in water (the solution also known as Lugol's iodine)
became demineralized, which we identified through assessment of the
physical condition of the specimens and confirmed with molecular analyses.
There still may be situations where curatorial staff decide that staining a
specimen in Lugol's iodine is the best way forward, and our work provides
information that will help to inform that decision.

You can access the article here:
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0238783.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the article or chat about
subjecting fluid-preserved museum specimens to iodine staining / diceCT.

Best,
Catherine

<https://www.smm.org/>
*Catherine M. Early, PhD*