[Nhcoll-l] Hide beetles

Elizabeth Wommack ewommack at uwyo.edu
Mon Aug 2 16:21:58 EDT 2021

Hi Tonya,

Fun topic!
The UWYMV has really low humidity, but our colonies do fine in the dry high
elevation. We do have them on a really strict watering schedule.
Our beetles came from the MVZ colonies originally, which is not as humid as
the east coast of NAmerica, but is more humid than Wyoming. I did watch the
beetles fly around the MVZ lab, especially in the summer time. The colonies
there are in the same lab as the specimen preparation, and escaped beetles
would eat the drying skins if we did not watch them really closely.

I've never had my beetles in Wyoming attempt to fly out of the colony. I
watched a couple last summer take off in the colony, but so far we've been
lucky. I wondered if it might be related to temperature and light cycle. We
did move our colonies completely off site several years ago because of
space issues. All material is frozen a minimum of 2 weeks before I bring it
back to the museum.

cheers,
Beth Wommack

--
Elizabeth Wommack, PhD
Curator and Collections Manager of Vertebrates