[Nhcoll-l] VEROs

Catherine Early (she/her) cearly at smm.org
Wed Aug 11 12:48:03 EDT 2021

Hi Sam,

We certainly all need more funding and this would be a creative solution,
but I want to make sure members of our community are aware of some of the
concerns regarding NFTs. For one, they rely on a system that has a large
carbon footprint. Perhaps your article omitted this issue because there
aren't many peer-reviewed publications on the topic. Here are some opinion
and popular press articles about it:
https://everestpipkin.medium.com/but-the-environmental-issues-with-cryptoart-1128ef72e6a3
https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/15/22328203/nft-cryptoart-ethereum-blockchain-climate-change

There have also been issues with people other than the creators of the
media making and profiting from NFTs of the original media, with the
creators never seeing that money (
https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/20/22334527/nft-scams-artists-opensea-rarible-marble-cards-fraud-art).
You recognize this issue in your article and propose VEROs as a way around
this. But if we create a market for VEROs of 3D models of museum specimens,
what will prevent anyone from creating and selling a non-VERO NFT of the 3D
models of museum specimens that are freely available for educational use
and making money from that, thus profiting from the demand that we helped
to create?

I also worry that monetizing our collections will have legal and ethical
ramifications that we haven't considered. Yes, we would be monetizing
digital models of our specimens and not the specimens themselves, but the
digital models can only exist because we collect and care for the physical
specimens. Will funders and administrators expect museums to generate a
certain percent of their income from minting VEROs? Will customs officials
accept that the specimens we import are priceless but carry no monetary
value if we then sell the rights to digital models of the specimens?

 Given that we as a community are dedicated to the preservation of
biodiversity (threatened by things like large carbon footprints) and
because of the other issues I brought up, we should think hard before
diving into the world of NFTs. I welcome further discussion.

Best,
Catherine

<https://www.smm.org/>

*Catherine M. Early, PhD*

she/her

*Barbara Brown Chair of Ornithology*

e: cearly at smm.org

https://catherineearly.wixsite.com/home

We envision a world where everyone has the power to use science to make
lives better,
and we are committed to using STEM as a tool to advocate for justice and
equity.