[Nhcoll-l] frozen tissue collections

Catherine Early (she/her) cearly at smm.org
Mon Aug 16 14:46:16 EDT 2021

Hi all,

I've dug into some of the very helpful resources you shared and would
appreciate some further input. At this point, we are focusing our efforts
on working through a 20 year backlog of carcasses stored in -20C freezers
awaiting more traditional specimen preps, rather than collecting new
specimens. Most of these specimens are relatively common species that were
salvaged or were put into coolers during field surveys and then frozen. I
thought it would be good to also preserve tissues for genomic studies as we
prepare these specimens, but after reading the papers you shared, it seems
like these specimens have little to no chance of yielding useful genetic
material given their storage history so we shouldn't bother preserving
tissue samples from them. Is that correct?

Best,
Catherine

<https://www.smm.org/>

*Catherine M. Early, PhD*

she/her

*Barbara Brown Chair of Ornithology*

e: cearly at smm.org

https://catherineearly.wixsite.com/home

We envision a world where everyone has the power to use science to make
lives better,
and we are committed to using STEM as a tool to advocate for justice and
equity.