[Nhcoll-l] How to transfer specimens out of an unknown preservative?

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Mon Aug 23 05:10:43 EDT 2021

Dear Nicole,

the first articles of the first Fluid Preservation congress in Paris in
2018 published in Collection Forum are available online
<https://meridian.allenpress.com/collection-forum/issue/34/1>. Among
these is Irene Finkelde's and Asher Newsome's salting-out article which
is a nice an cost-efficient way to check fluids, and the article of
Irene and Rob Waller to determine formaldehyde concentrations in
preserving fluids.

Besides the well recognisable smell of formaldehyde, density differences
between the water-based formaldehyde solution and alcohol should be easy
to detect. Be aware that if you have historic specimens (pre 1900),
different salts could have been used to increase the preserving strength
of the alcohol. Many of these salts are not too healthy, and necessary
precautions should be taken when handling such objects.

Transfer: Not in all cases it is recommended to transfer specimens form
formalin into alcohol, Paul pointed to this already. Especially some
marine invertebrates like jelly fish or tunicates may suffer if they are
moved from their original preservative fluid (often formalin).

You should be careful with distilled water, as this is very acidic. Tap
water should be fine if there are not additives in it (e.g.
chlorinated), and slow stepping with more steps (e.g. 20/40/60/75)
should be preferred for delicate specimens.

Highly recommended reference and bed-lecture for all people working with
fluid preserved specimens is the masterpiece John (Simmons) put
together:
https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Preservation-Comprehensive-John-Simmons/dp/1442229659

It is the reference I love to consult and I am very happy to have this
valuable book in reach on the shelf behind me.

Hope this helps
Dirk

Am 20.08.2021 um 22:25 schrieb Nicole Seiden:

> Hello and happy Friday!
>
> I was recently hired as a collections manager with the initial tasks
> of digitizing and re-opening the collections. The collections have
> been “ignored” for some time now and both the specimens and the
> database have numerous discrepancies that I’ve been addressing.
> Currently, I’m working with our wet-preserved specimens and want to
> ask the community for some advice.
>
> A large portion of our specimens (> 4,000) are preserved in an unknown
> fluid (listed as N/A), and many of which require topping up or
> rehousing to larger jars. Our most common preservative is ethanol, and
> it’s very likely that most are in ethanol or isopropyl, though I have
> had the unpleasant misfortune of opening a few preserved in formalin.
>
> Previous discussions indicated there is not a method to determine the
> fluid type, but is there a way to transfer the specimens into a known
> preservative? My initial thought is to rinse (or soak?) them in DI
> water and then transfer into ethanol. Does this pose any risk to the
> specimens (i.e., lead to damage)? Are there any precautions I should
> follow?
>

> Many thanks in advanced,
> Nicki
>
> *Nicki L. Seiden, M.Sc.*
>
> She/Her/Hers
>
> /Research Collection Manager/
>
> Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute
>
> nseiden at fau.edu <mailto:hmcqueen at fau.edu>

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/