[Nhcoll-l] about preservation of halite minerals in an antique colleciton

gönenç göçmengil gonencgocmengil at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 06:16:32 EDT 2021

 Dear all,

A couple of years ago, I handled the curation of an old mineral collection
in Istanbul Turkey. Minerals are exhibited in a semi-closed exhibition area
on the ground covered with thick glass. 2-3 years later after the
establishment of the collection (some specimens collected around 1890-the
1900s), one of the big halite samples getting started dissolved suddenly.
There is no indication of interaction with a fluid, the humidity level is
fixed around 70% and temperature around 20-22 °C, I suspect maybe it
contains some fluid inclusions and after a while, they dissolved? or NaCl
character is not suitable for that microclimate conditions? Did anyone
experience a similar problem before?

with my best wishes

Gönenç Göçmengil (PhD in geology)
Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality, Projects Departments
Istanbul, Turkey.