[Nhcoll-l] Compactors in collections

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Wed Dec 15 09:45:33 EST 2021

We had our compactors for our wet collections specifically designed with that in mind - no upper "lid" on each compactor aisle and each shelf had to be perforated in order to allow water from sprinkler system to filter through.  We initially had metal liners on each shelf that were solid and they all had to be sent back to be perforated with hundreds of tiny holes.  Our fire marshal also imposed an upper limit as to how high things could be stored so as to allow space between the last upper shelf and the sprinkler heads for better coverage.

We also have "earthquake" bars on the front of each shelf - not only in the event of seismic activity but also to ward against anything toppling off a shelf while moving.  On the whole we have been happy with our compactor system in our wet collection.  Even though it is now about 20 years old it still functions just fine.  The only issue we have had is rusting of the internal mechanism due to high humidity events in our wet wing caused by a less than perfect HVAC system.  This has affected locking mechanisms, chains, etc. and rails.

Andy
    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager
University of Kansas
Biodiversity Institute
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard<x-apple-data-detectors://9/>
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561<x-apple-data-detectors://9/>
USA<x-apple-data-detectors://9/>

Tel: (785) 864-3863<tel:%28785%29%20864-3863>
Fax: (785) 864-5335<tel:%28785%29%20864-5335>
Email: abentley at ku.edu<mailto:abentley at ku.edu>
ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3093-1258
http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu<http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu/>
    A  :             A  :             A  :