[Nhcoll-l] barcode printers

Catherine Early (she/her) cearly at smm.org
Thu Dec 16 17:44:23 EST 2021

Hello NHCOLL members,

I have never used barcodes for digitizing but will be submitting a proposal
that should include them, so I'm looking for some advice. We will be
barcoding a diverse collection of vertebrates, shells, and plants, and I
want to use these barcodes to assign true UUIDs (example:
https://www.uuidgenerator.net/) and not a sequential set of letters and
numbers determined by humans. Can you recommend a barcode printer (and
compatible adhesive paper) that 1) can serve in multiple storage settings
(both dry and alcohol) and 2) can encode UUIDs? We would like to print them
in-house instead of sending off for someone else to print them for us as we
will need to print duplicates when we find different preparations of the
same specimen (e.g., skeleton, skin, soft tissues) in different parts of
our collection.

Thanks,
Catherine

<https://www.smm.org/>

*Catherine M. Early, PhD*

she/her

*Barbara Brown Chair of Ornithology*

e: cearly at smm.org

https://catherineearly.wixsite.com/home

We envision a world where everyone has the power to use science to make
lives better,
and we are committed to using STEM as a tool to advocate for justice and
equity.