[Nhcoll-l] barcode printers

Joachim Händel Joachim.Haendel at zns.uni-halle.de
Fri Dec 17 04:15:17 EST 2021

At the risk of being old-fashioned....
Barcodes should at best be a addition to classic labels and never the only labels on an specimen.
You should be able to read the basic data without using a machine.

Best wishes
Joachim

--
Joachim Haendel

Center of Natural Sciences Collections
of the Martin Luther University
- Entomological Collection -

Domplatz 4
D-06099 Halle (Saale)
Germany

Phone:  +49 345 - 55 26 447
Fax:  +49 345 - 55 27 248

Email: joachim.haendel at zns.uni-halle.de

>>> Hannu Saarenmaa 17.12.2021, 09:45 >>>

Catherine & All

First, abandon 1-dimensional barcodes.  These are i) error prone.  Human eye cannot see if the starting or stopping bar is missing.  It is too easy to print such labels which look good but have been cropped from their ends.  ii)   1-dimensional barcodes plenty of space on a herbarium sheet or similar.  They unusable for small insect labels.  iii) When digitizing the collection, 1-dimensional barcodes (such as code39 etc) are hard to detect by machine from the images.

Only use 2-dimensional QR codes, or similar. All the problems which listed above can be avoided that way.   Human eye can immediately see if the QR label has technical problems.  QR codes are smaller and prettier.  QR code can instantly be recognized and read by machine from a 135 MB TIFF image.

What you encode in the QR code is your choice.   UUID is fine but needs a resolver.  A web address, as recommended by the European CETAF organization may be better.  I let GBIF, DiSSCo and iDigBio to comment about that.

Best regards, Hannu Saarenmaa
Bioshare Digitization www.bioshare.com