[Nhcoll-l] Compactors in collections

Graham, Alastair (NCMI, Hobart) Alastair.Graham at csiro.au
Sun Dec 19 18:42:14 EST 2021

G’day everyone

In 1994, we replaced our static shelves in our wet fish collection, with compactus units for our jar and 30 litre drum-sized specimens.  Our storage capacity more than doubled, as wasted aisle space became space for shelving.  In 1999, we relocated our collection to another building.  During this process we installed more compactus to handle our 60 litre drums.

Issues that we considered prior to installation were:

  *   Floor loading capacity.  Our storage is on the ground floor.
  *   Compactus operation.  We have a manual system, only because an electric system would have been an astronomical cost, due to the flammable liquid considerations.  Up to six double-sided units can be moved easily.
  *   Shelf carrying capacity.  Each shelf is over-engineered, particularly to allow for the weight of the 30 and 60 litre drums.
  *   Shelf perforations.  Each shelf has some perforations.  Not enough to de-stabilise small jars, but enough to maintain some ventilation and allow for spill drainage.
  *   Shelf fronts.  The shelves for our jars have shelf fronts to prevent jars falling off the front of the shelf.
  *   Ventilation.  The top of the compactus unit is open.  Each of the double-sided units has galvanised wire mesh (12.5mm square holes) fitted to the back of the shelving (rather than a solid steel plate).  This prevents jars being pushed from one shelf onto the one behind.
  *   Fire suppression.  Having the top of the compactus open and mesh between the double-sided units assists with the penetration of our fire suppressant gas (Inergen).
  *   Light.  Having the top of the compactus open and mesh between the double-sided units also assists with light penetration from the over-head lights.
  *   Trolley access.  The areas between the compactus rails is concrete filled, which means only the channels for the compactus floor guide wheels are exposed.  Having trolleys with wheels wide the floor channels is a must.

Finally, talk to the compactus company to ensure that what they install fits your space and meets your needs.

Cheers

Al

Alastair (Al) Graham
Fish Collection Manager
Australian National Fish Collection
National Research Collections Australia
CSIRO National Collections and Marine Infrastructure

P: +61 3 6232 5351 | M: +61 (0) 419 756 411 | F: +61 3 6232 5000
alastair.graham at csiro.au<mailto:alastair.graham at csiro.au> | www.csiro.au<http://www.csiro.au/>
Address: Castray Esplanade, Hobart Tas 7000, Australia