[Nhcoll-l] Barcodes and accession numbers

Christine Johnson cjohnson at amnh.org
Fri Feb 26 09:55:43 EST 2021

Hi All,
Here's what we do at AMNH (not saying it's the best, but what I strive for):

Accession Number: The institution-level number that is associated with the legal transfer of rights to a defined collection or batch of specimens of like taxa or not; this number/record is more associated with an expedition/collecting trip than with a unique collection event or specimen.

Barcode/QRcode Unique Specimen Identifier: A number on each specimen, a pin with multiple specimens or in a jar/box with multiple specimens, that is our 'internal' and hopefully external unique number representing that lot of one or more AMNH IZ specimens (I know, Alaska museum has the same acronym). The QR code is machine readable, but the labels also contain the human-readable number AMNH_IZC 01234567.

GUID: The long string of numbers containing no information that is 'unique within the world' that represents a catalog (or locality or taxa record, etc.) in our database and is shared with aggregators to indicate a unique datasbase record. If someone duplicates a database entry (records a specimen with the same barcode for the same specimen and event), there may be 2 GUIDs, but eventually one should/will be deleted. We can, however, have multiple catalog records with the same Specimen Bar/QRcode and two different GUIDs, if the pin or jar has multiple taxa (like parasite wasp & host bug) on one pin. In that case the two unique GUIDs for those catalog records are valid. To me, the GUID is a machine sharing number that I wouldn't even attempt to try to type/write.

Perfect, no, but so far it's been okay.
Chris

Please note due to COVID-19 concerns, our collections are closed to visitors until further notice.

Chris Johnson, Ph.D.<https://www.amnh.org/research/staff-directory/christine-johnson>
Curatorial Associate
Division of Invertebrate Zoology<https://www.amnh.org/research/invertebrate-zoology>
American Museum of Natural History<https://www.amnh.org/research/invertebrate-zoology>
cjohnson at amnh.org<mailto:cjohnson at amnh.org>

Managing Editor, Entomologica Americana<https://nyentsocjournal.org/>
Associate Editor, Journal of Negative Results - EEB
IMLS Coral Rehousing Project<https://cjohnson192.wixsite.com/amnh-cnidaria-corals>